In my time I have seen a lot of science
fiction movies from the earliest black and whites to modern, colorful CGI
SciFi. I've read weighty periodicals like National Enquirer and The
News. I've seen grainy pics of flying saucers, floating cigars,
mysterious lights in the sky, alien autopsies, and Bat Boy (though Bat Boy does
not factor prominently in this post). Through it all, I must say I find
it personally disconcerting that there is an undeniable dearth of fat beings
from other worlds. Some may say these fit and healthier societies are the
logical result of an advanced civilization. I question whether their
advancement was fueled by a frothy concoction whipped up from the carcasses of
euthanized fatties once among them. As a member of the Universe, I have a
right to know if our motto is: "Keep it Lean or Become Soylent
Green!"
I understand why official visitors from other
worlds are trim. Those individuals destined to travel light years across
the known universe do require a sufficient level of health to survive the trip.
Plus, let's get real, if you're meeting a whole new species you want to put
your best foot forward. So, you send your alien equivalent of Salma Hayak
rather than Roseanne Barr. And though it's true, Star Wars had Jabba the Hutt, in all fairness we never saw him on a
space ship and he wasn't exactly a galactic ambassador.
The truth in any civilization is that obesity
reduces your options in life. If you're the Rightly Stuffed you don't go
on an airplane with impunity, much less the space shuttle. Jabba the
Hutt's existence was fueled by a steady stream of minions to do his
bidding...until one bikini-clad slave girl strangled him with the chains of her
own shackles leaving the universe shy one plump bookie whose only known crime
was collecting on a debt previously incurred by the neglectful actions of one,
swarthy and fit, Han Solo. And yet, Jabba was the bad guy, Han got the
girl, and I still don't truthfully understand what Luke got out of the whole
thing. Perhaps that's because Mark Hamill put on a few pounds before
filming the final episode of the trilogy.
Hey, yeah . . . what DID Luke Skywalker get out of it? A really good feeling inside that just wouldn't go away???--what a rip!
ReplyDeleteI was so mad as a kid when Leia got with Hans. I was so sure she should be with Luke, he did get shafted, a sister, that bites, and losing a hand?
ReplyDelete